Sunday, February 05, 2006

My (Our?) Greatest Need

It's funny how my most profound thoughts come forth from the most unlikely or inappropriate of places. Sitting on the throne, in the shower, in a room full of people, slacking off at work... If it wasn't for this amazing save draft feature on blogger, I'd have a post up every day hour. So I've come to another shift in thinking in terms of perpective. I could go through a myriad of details and turning points or subtle hints that have been nagging at me, but to put it simply: I need to get out of here.

I think I've forgotten why I'm walking on this earth. I need to go see the world. But where? How? Well, next year, I think I'll take my own advice for once and take the year off school. I've sent a request to the higher ups at my job to see if there are any positions available overseas. If things go well, I could be gone for a while. Would you be sad if I left? Don't be. I won't.

I want to be relevant. I want to make a difference. Even if it's only to one person at a time. As long as I know that I'm not just a number. Not some inconsequential strand in history. I want a steak dinner. More to follow as it progresses.

In the past I've said that one of the reasons I left xanga was because of its demographic immaturity and its "tag you're it" crap. Completely unoriginal and passé in terms of blogging. BUT, since I'm such a nice guy,
Rachel, this is for you:

4 3 Jobs I've had (I've only had 3!):
Order processing/Paging operator
LBE Summer Staff
Canadian Forces Reserves

Not an exciting resumé but my job description in the military has changed so many times, that it feels like multiple jobs... which is probably why I'm still in. My most memorable position was working for Wing Ops Training teaching classes with weapons, first aid, and NBCD (gas masks). We'd be on the range 2-3 times a week riding ATV's or playing enemy force for trainees and having a BBQ every Friday followed by having the rest of the afternoon off. It honestly felt like a grown-up summer camp with rifles and thunder flashes.

4 movies I can watch over and over (there's more than 4 but here's the top 4. For an exhaustive list, see my profile):
Amélie
Forrest Gump
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (new and old)
When Harry Met Sally

4 places I have lived in:
'Peg, embee
Calgary, AB
Borden, ON
Sydney, NSW, AUS

4 places I've vacationed:
Philippines
Disney World
Jonquière, QC
Last Thursday, visiting my 10 week old niece. She tries to talk to me but I don't understand her. I pretend like I do though and answer with a smile and "Yes, I agree, your grandma is scary." (I dropped my Tue/Thu class, so now it's always a vacation. weeeee!)



4 of my favourite dishes (this one is top 4 as well):
sushi
gyros
goat roti
tiramisu

4 places I'd rather be right now:
Anywhere/everywhere in Europe
On a train going from Halifax to Vancouver (with day-or-two stops in between, and perhaps back again)
New Zealand skiing and scuba diving in the same day
Hiking in Banff or Alaska (or Banff TO Alaska)

4 sites I visit daily:
google
gmail (want an account? Just ask.)
Waiter Rant
30 foot layout (almost everyday)

4 books I could rebuy?:
Blue Like Jazz (and have)
Life of Pi
The Message
Where The Wild Things Are

Sorry Rach, I'm not tagging anybody, that's my compromise. But thanks for making me feel special! ^^*

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Neil - thanks for playing along - what the heck is xanga?