Monday, January 02, 2006

Flashback #527

Have you ever had a Rolo pop? They're these popsicles with a solid chocolate shell filled with chocolate ice cream and caramel in the centre. I love them. They remind me of Québec. The first time I ever had a Rolo pop was with Karen, in Jonquière, QC, during a summer french language course.

I had graduated from high school with a french immersion diploma, and it was customary of our french teacher to send us on french orientated trips, kinda like a grad present. Karen was from Winnipeg too. For 2 of the 5 weeks of our stay in Québec, there was this rock festival going on. Every night we'd walk down the bar strip in town and at the end of the street was the stage where all the bands played. I felt so alive back then just taking in the sights of lanterns lined along the street, the sounds of chattering patrons on bar patios and great french music, and the smell of cigarette smoke and the river that was nearby. A biker gang was in full force in that town as they would ride up and down the street almost as a sign of arrogance towards the cops that were on patrol. The underage drinking was absurd. So many kids were sent home after their trip to the hospital. Each night, after the last band finished their session, Karen and I would go to this 50's style diner and have milkshakes together. Sometimes we would race to see who would finish theirs first, but normally we would talk about the meaning of life and what it's like to be in love.

"There's different kinds of love, Neil."

I disagreed at that time, but deep down I knew she was right.

Karen was catholic. She attended mass regularily, but it seemed more out of habit. She went to this big cathedral during her stay in Jonqière. It was one of those massive ancient stained-glass ones that you would see on postcards. I even accompanied her one Sunday. A beautiful building.

During my stay in Jonquière, I managed to start a bible study. There were a couple students from Nova Scotia who were christians and Rachel, my classmate, joined us as well. At our first meeting, we had Scott and Chelsea, Rachel, myself and April Griffin. April was the cutest girl you've ever met, I sat with her at least once a day in the cafeteria, and she'd always make a mess while eating. By the end she'd have this smear of chocolate on her cheek or ketchup all over her hands. She was always enthusiastic about everything. We got along well.

The next week, a few more people showed up at our little bible study, Karen was one of them. She seemed very interested about spiritual things. I suppose eternity is a seductive idea to most people who never really think about these things. Needless to say, she was hooked, and showed up every week thereafter.

The last week in Québec, I found out I was accepted into a leadership program in Calgary. I was so excited. The last night in Jonquière, we had this crazy farewell night that started off with watching a film the TA's made. It was little snippets of popular films all dubbed over with their voices. It was full of inside jokes about our course and I've never laughed so hard. After that, we got our little certificates and a small tribute to our teachers. There was a dinner and dance thing too. Crazy.

Karen had eventually found out I was going to Calgary in the fall instead of staying in Winnipeg where she was. At the end of the farewell night, she approached me with watery eyes...

"Neil, is it true you're going to Calgary?" She asked, as her lip quivered.

I smiled and grabbed her and held her as she sobbed on my shoulder. It was then that I knew that I had made a friend. A few weeks later while I was still in Winnipeg getting ready to move all my stuff, I got an email from Karen...

"Neil, thanks to you, I read my bible more often. I feel so much closer to God."

I felt so humbled that God had used me to touch somebody's life. I'll never forget that time at the dépanneur when Karen first introduced me to Rolo pops.

I love Rolo pops.



So does she.