Saturday, October 01, 2005

A Tale of Redemption


When I was younger, I used to be enthralled by this Playstation game entitled
Valkyrie Profile. Its premise is based loosely on Norse mythology. The story goes that there's a war going on in Valhalla, a spiritual realm above earth. Odin, the head honcho of the good side realizes that his forces aren't strong enough, so he calls for the aid of Valkyrie, a winged warrior. He tells Valkyrie to recruit more soldiers from the mortal realm to strengthen Odin's forces. So, Valkyrie is charged with the daunting task of choosing worthy souls to be trained and, once ready, to fight for Odin. There is quite a degree of spirituality in this game, which is why I'm bringing this up. What made this game so engaging and kept me playing for hours on end was the way Valkyrie chose her army. The only way she could claim a soul was once the person died - not by her doing of course, but by usually tragic means. She always chose the outcast, who died alone, or a lone warrior who was betrayed by his friends, or an orphan who lost her way. In each case, it seemed like the souls that she deemed worthy, were the ones that needed a second chance. And that's exactly what she gave them. I could relate very well to the tales of tragedy, misfortune, and ultimately grace.

Now, even more so today, I realize how badly in need I am of a second chance. I don't want to settle for a comfortable life. I don't want to settle for second best. I want passion, and renewed commitment in my life. Earlier this week I met a man from Rwanda. He survived the genocide and only a few members of his family remain. He said that the whole experience only served to strengthen his faith. It seems that we in North America have such shallow faith. One that's based on convenience. Personally, I feel that my faith has become numb, that I'm just going through the motions. I miss that passion that I used to have. I miss genuinely caring about the well-being of others. I miss hearing His voice.


Dad, would you grant me a second chance?

No comments: